Tuesday, January 1, 2008

One Word for 2008

I want to post this on the first day of the year so have not had time to create a LO to make it all pretty. I was inspired by this post on Ali Edward's blog to choose one word for 2008.

My word for this year is IMMERSION. I feel as though I spent a large part of 2007 being distracted and focusing on too many things at once. This year I want to make sure I immerse myself in what is most important at that very moment.

I think it's going to be tough to live up to - I am expecting my second child in May, starting major renovations on our house in January and it looks like a busy year at work.

I am determined though to make sure that when I am with my family, I am really WITH my family. I am going to take more photos (OK that won't be hard :)) and write down more observations about our everyday lives.

A few definitions of Immersion:
* state of being deeply engaged or involved; absorption.
* concentrating on one course of instruction, subject, or project to the exclusion of all others
* complete attention; intense mental effort

So that's it. Rather than a New Year's resolution, I have a word. :)

One other thing I am going to try and do (and part of the whole immersion theme) is to take at least one photo each day. Not sure how that is going to go - especially in the middle of winter when my entire day before and after work is in darkness - but I am going to try. You can read more about Project 365 (the inspiration) here.

I did take a photo today but haven't had a chance to get it off the computer yet. will probably post a few at a time rather than one a day.

Happy New Year everyone.
Nicole

1 comment:

Peta said...

well if you ever need some motivation hun just give me a yell I'm doing the whole 366 (its a leap year this year so there are 366 days hehe) project as well. I joined up with a group of people on flickr for support and 'fun'

Happy to kick ya bum if you ever need it hehe ;)

and in the winter months you can try your hand at low light/night photography :D hehe.