Wednesday, June 6, 2007

What's your scrap style?

I was recently accepted as a member of Tara Sroka's creative team (which is awesome by the way) and as part of the application process she asked me two questions that got me thinking:

1. What is your scrapping style?

2. Who are your favourite scrappers?

It made me start thinking about my scrapping style and this very quick journey that I have taken as a digiscrapper. I only started about 12 months ago and I feel like my style and my tastes have gone through so many changes since I began that I found it difficult to answer Tara's question. I also thought about how I have posted four blog entries so far and haven't really said anything about myself so I guess this is a good start.

I see myself as a simple scrapper - not big on (and not comfortable with) loads of embellishments. I am in awe of scrappers who are able to create beautiful pages with dozens of embellishments, all from different designer, yet all working so beautifully together without taking away from the photo.
My early inspiration was Cathy Zielske's Clean and Simple Book 1 and the sequel. I love that the photos take center stage with a focus on graphic design and I am most comfortable when my photos are aligned to the page.

My focus has been shifting however, and I find myself using more embellishments on pages - although still very sparse. I'm not sure if this is because I am on a couple of CTs and want to really show off the product, or if I just feel the need to create a more 3D look to my pages.


So in just over 12 months my pages have gone from this...
To more and more of this..


Although I am still more comfortable with the less is more approach I think I'm branching out. :)

As for favourite scrappers, there are so many layouts in the community that I am inspired by but I would have to say that some of people I return to time and again for inspiration are:

  • Peta (Little Possum): Her style changes so much and I love that she is so versatile and honest with her pages. I never know what to expect (plus she's an Aussie and was one of the first people to post on my blog - but that didn't sway me - she was already on the list for my CT application.. promise :))
  • Jodie Davidson: Another Aussie (I see a pattern), but I love her for the exact opposite reason to Peta. She is so comfortable and confident in her less is more style and her pages are always so beautiful.
  • Dani Mogstad: Love, Love, Love her pages. The shapes and colors that she uses are all quite unexpected but work so well together. She is an example of one of those scrappers who uses a whole bunch of elements but the page never looks overcrowded. Her designs are also amazing (fingers crossed for my CT application)
  • Nancy Comelab: Amazing designer AND scrapper. Love the layered graphic effect to her pages. (and lives in Australia!)

And of course there are so many more. Just look at the list of blogs I read daily - so much inspiration on that list.

I may have to think about my favourite designers next. This has been very therapeutic.

Thanks for reading

Nicole

1 comment:

Jodie said...

Wow! I'm honored to be one of your favourites! What a thrill, jsut discovered your blog and I love it!